Friday, April 2, 2010

The Beginning


I'll keep this introduction short. After being involved in Android game development for over half a year I've decided to finally start a blog to share my experiences and hopefully inspire others to get involved.

Early last summer I became a proud owner of an HTC Magic and almost immediately began looking into developing games for the platform. I implemented a basic engine in Java but ended up abandoning it in September when version 1.6 of the NDK was released, which finally provided OpenGL bindings for native C code. At this point I started re-writing my engine from scratch in C (which is my area of expertise) and started working on an actual game in November. I wanted to start with a fairly simple game that would allow me to focus on learning the complete process of developing an Android game without getting bogged down by complex gameplay details.

In January I finally completed and published my game on the Android market. The game is called "Virtual Table Tennis 3D" and its currently doing reasonably well in terms of sales. Completing this game has been quite a satisfying experience but I feel like I've really only scratched the surface of what this platform is capable of. I'm hoping to achieve a lot more in the upcoming months. Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment